Depending on your stabling situation this deep cold may mean lots of time out of the saddle and when you do get time to ride nice long warm-up and cool down sessions with lots of walk breaks. The icy cold weather can be quite hard on our beloved horses.
Keeping up rider motivation during these cold months can be difficult, sometimes the lure of a hot cup of tea and a good book can be very tempting. Well, why not make that good book one that can enhance your riding knowledge? We all know that during show season we are incredibly busy and have little down time. So take advantage of this cold weather and cuddle up with that hot tea and a good training book or video. There is always more to learn in this sport!
Here are a couple of my well read favorites:
- Hunter Seat Equitation by George Morris
- Reflections on Riding and Jumping: Winning Techniques for Serious Riders by William Steinkraus
- Judging Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation by Anna Jane- White Mullin
- Training the Modern Jumper (book and DVD) by Elmar Pollman- Schweckhorst
- Riding Through by Debbie McDonald
There are also a variety of websites with great videos to choose from:
- Equestrian Coach.com
- Showjumper Clinic.com
Don't forget to check our website, Chicago Equestrian, for the great articles on Chicago area riders and all the up to date news and show calendars. Oh, and some great links on the side bar for shopping too!